Tired of high gas prices? Want some exercise on your way to work? Just looking for a change of pace? No matter your reason, trying an alternative commute can be easy and fun. Don’t believe me? Here are 7 super easy ways to change up your commute, starting today.
1) Google Maps is for more than just driving directions: Ever notice the little bus, walk, and bike icons when searching for driving directions on Google Maps? It just so happens that you can find bus, walk and bike directions on Google Maps just as easy as you can find driving directions!
2) Try it on a sunny day: If you’ve ever wanted to start biking or walking to work, picking a sunny day can make all of the difference. That way, you don’t have to worry about the weather getting in the way of a great commute.
3) Use your go!pass: Work in downtown Ann Arbor? Have a go!pass? Then you get unlimited rides on all TheRide buses, discounts on other transportation choices, and tons more. Don’t know about the go!pass? Learn more at getDowntown.org/bus.
4) Ask around the office: Chances are someone at your office already walks, bikes or buses to work. So if you’re curious about an alternative commute, check and see if someone at work already knows the ropes. Looking for a carpool partner? That woman in the next cubicle may live two blocks away.
5) Try it just once a week: Even biking, busing, carpool, or walking to work just one day a week can make a huge difference for your pocketbook at your waste-line. So don’t worry if one day a week is all you’ve got.
6) Be creative! Walk to work and run home. Carpool with a friend to a Park & Ride Lot and take the bus to work. Put your bike on the bus and then bike home. There’s no end to the ways you can change up your commute. All you need is a little creativity and a sense of adventure.
7) Contact getDowntown: If you work in downtown Ann Arbor, the getDowntown Program is here to make it stupid easy for you to try a new commute. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for customized commuting information.